It’s close to the end of the school year and ironically, it’s as busy as the beginning of the school year. We have last year field trips, dances, class parties, award ceremonies and graduations. It’s all so bitter sweet but so lovely to enjoy along side the children.
This past Friday was my daughter’s 5th grade dance, they called it ‘prom’otional,’ as they didn’t want it to be confused with a prom like dance. I personally thought it was a clever idea, so sweet and the children had a phenomenal time.
So, my daughter has long hair as you can remember from here and her request for the dance was to keep the hair in a ponytail. I decided on the upside down French braid and on top, to place it in a braided bun. As if my life wasn’t complicated enough, right?! I looked at quick tutorials online the night before and woke up a little earlier than usual to try to get the hair do right, as it was my first attempt. So, with my caddy filled with my essentials for doing hair, here’s our result …
- Pick up the hair half way and tie it. Tip: where you end the half way pony tail is where your top bun will be/end – so the higher the half pony tail is, the higher the bun will be and vise versa, the lower you do the pony tail, the lower the bun will be/sit. I personally love a good high bun! Then set that hair aside by clipping it or tying it out of the way. Tip: To keep the style smooth and sleek, alternate with spraying the hair with water and hairspray just a couple times before tying it.
- Have her put her head on her knees or place a pillow so she’s more comfortable. Taking the section of her hair that’s not tied and starting with the low back neck area hair, wet and brush the hair smooth and begin your French braid or if you prefer, being a Dutch braid – keep it as loose or tight as you’d like, I kept it a little tight.
- Continue the French braid, brush through the strands if you can to keep the hair smooth. Once you’ve reached the other pony tail, grab both pony tails and tie them together.
- With the hair that was left on the pony tail, wet and brush the hair smooth and then do a simple braid and tie at the end with an elastic.
- Now just wrap the braid for in a bun, spray some hairspray to keep fly aways in place.
- If you’d like, finish the style with a hair bow and there you have an ‘upside down French braid with a braided bun.’
Have a great weekend!